Chemical peels are a safe, non-invasive way to help manage a variety of skin conditions. They use acids such as AHAs (glycolic and lactic acid), which are considered to be antioxidants and extremely beneficial for skin health. Antioxidants protect the skin from toxins such as smoke, sun exposure or pollutants in the air.
Physical benefits of undergoing chemical peels treatments include:
• Able to minimize wrinkles and fine lines
• Reduction in pore size
• Fades dark spots and pigmentation
• Able to treat acne and acne scarring
Chemical peels remove dead skin on the face through a chemical reaction between the acids and the skin cells. This encourages the skin to regenerate itself to form new healthy cells.
Chemical peels are suitable for all skin types:
• Light chemical peels superficially remove the upper layer of the skin (epidermis layer). They can be used to treat wrinkles and fine lines as well as acne and uneven skin tone caused by conditions such as eczema.
• Medium chemical peels remove skin not only from the top layer of your face but also the dermis (layer under the epidermis). They are effective for deeper types of acne scars and dark spots caused by acne or pigmentation.
• Deep chemical peels are done to treat conditions such as precancerous skin growths and deep wrinkles which cannot be treated on the skin’s surface (epidermis).
Patients can expect some redness on the face after undergoing a chemical peel, with itching or dryness. Your skin may begin to peel after 2 days from the treatment and lasts for up to 5 days. It will take about a few days to 1 to 2 weeks to see the full effects of chemical peels depending on the strength of the peel.